Broccoli and Blue Stilton Soup
About this recipe
A pungent combination of green vegetable and blue cheese, this soup will warm the cockles on a chilly day. Serve steaming hot bowls with crusty granary bread and a glass of Stout.
- 400g broccoli florets and stalks cut into small pieces
- 500ml white chicken stock or water simmering
- 50g butter
- 1 onion thinly sliced
- 6 spring onions thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 100g Blue Stilton
- 100g double cream
- 2g salt
- 12 turns of freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Serves 4 as a starter
- Place a medium pan onto a low to medium heat, then add the onion, garlic, salt, nutmeg and pepper.
- Cover with a lid and cook slowly so they sweat in the steam until they soften, this will take approximately 5 minutes.
- Add the pieces of broccoli and spring onions, cover with a lid again.
- Cook for a further 3-4 minutes, then pour over the hot stock.
- Cover with a lid and bring to the simmer, then remove the lid and add the cream and cook for five minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Add the blue Stilton and then place into a blender and puree until coarsely pureéd.
- Serve straight away and then place into the soup some extra pieces of cheese.