Rutland Red Stew and Dumplings
About this recipe
A warming casserole that makes the most of a cheaper cut of beef and plentiful root vegetables. Add a few fluffy dumplings and a side of mashed potato for a comforting winter dinner.
- 500g diced Stewing Steak
- 1 tblsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- ½ medium swede, peeled and cubed
- 1 leek , chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 550ml beef stock
- 100g Self Raising Flour
- 50g Shredded Suet
- Cold Water to bind
- 75g of Rutland Red, grated
Oven Temp 180C/Gas Mark 4
Serves four as a main
- Heat the oil in a pan and cook the beef until golden brown. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Prepare all vegetables and add to the beef.
- Make beef stock and add to the casserole dish.
- Place the casserole dish in a preheated oven and cook for 1 ½ – 2 hours.
- Meanwhile prepare the dumplings by placing the flour and suet into a mixing bowl.
- Add in the grated Red Leicester cheese.
- Gradually bind together using cold water. Form the mixture into 4 dumplings.
- Add the dumplings to the casserole 30 minutes before the end of cooking time. Remove the lid of the casserole dish to allow the dumplings to brown