Red Onion Tart
About this recipe
White Stilton with Apricot is combined with sweet caramelised red onions in this cheeky savoury tart, which makes a satisfying lunch served with a jacket potato or a crispy salad.
- 300g plain flour
- 150g diced cold butter
- 2g salt
- 1 egg
- 120ml iced water
- 350g mascarpone
- 2 eggs plus 4 egg yolks
- 200g grated White Stilton with Apricot
- 2g thyme leaf
- 500g red onions peeled and quartered
- 45g brown sugar
- 250ml sherry vinegar
- 250ml red wine
- 3g chopped parsley
- 80g butter
- 4g salt
- 2g milled black pepper
- Place the flour in a bowl with the salt, add the diced butter and turn on the machine on low to mix until like fine breadcrumbs – about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and then a little water till the paste comes together. It should not be to dry, otherwise it will just crumble when you roll it out.
- Place the dough in cling film in the fridge for 30 minutes until it is ready to roll out. Roll the pastry out to 0.5cm thick and place in a tart case that has been buttered and floured.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat then add the onions, salt, pepper and thyme.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes stirring now and again, add the sugar cook for a further 5 minutes until slightly caramelised then add the vinegar and red wine and reduce till syrupy then remove from the heat and leave to cool.
- Mix the eggs and mascarpone till smooth then add the cheese and parsley check the seasoning then add the onions and fill the pastry case, place into a preheated oven at 170°C/Gas 4 and bake for 25-30 minutes.