About this recipe
It’s well worth making your own beefburgers for this recipe. Stack them high in a sesame bun with a slice of Huntsman™ cheese, tomato, onion and gherkins. Serve with chunky chips, onion rings and bottled lager.
(Makes 6 burgers, each as a main)
Burger mix scale at 160g:
- 800g minced beef
- 100g minced beef fat
- 3 eggs
- 12g salt
- 14 turns fresh milled black pepper
- 250g cooked onions, from below
For the cooked onions:
- 200ml vegetable oil
- 250g finely diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2g g salt
- 12 turns of milled black pepper
- 3g fresh thyme, chopped
- 2g dried oregano
- 750kg peeled and sliced onions
- 150g sliced red peppers
- 8g salt
- 8g ground cumin
- 12g fine chopped ginger
- 150g light brown sugar
- 300ml cider vinegar
- 10g mustard seeds
Garnish for the burger:
For a portion allow…
- A slice of beef tomato
- 5 thin slices of pickled dill cucumber
- 2 gem lettuce leaves
- 1 Slice of red onion ring, cut all the way through the onion.
- Burger buns
- Huntsman Cheese (Slice)
- Sweat off the onions in the oil with the garlic, thyme and oregano with no colour at all till soft and opaque, cook down all the juices till evaporated, check the seasoning, then cool.
- Mix the chilled onion into the minced beef, fat, salt, pepper and whole eggs. Shape into patties.
- Burgers can be cooked on a grill, barbecue or in a frying pan. Season them on the outside before you start to cook them. They will take approximately 4-5 minutes each side.
- The burger is cooked to whatever cooking temperature. I always cook then medium rare, unless otherwise asked. Grill the bun, too, spread ketchup onto the lid of the bun and the onion chutney onto the base, place the blue cheese over the burger, then under the grill to melt. Place the burger onto the bottom bun and leave the lid next to it, covered with the lettuce, cucumber and tomato.
- Add 1 slice of Huntsman™ cheese for each burger.
- Place all the ingredients in a pan and place on medium heat, bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Cook this for 2-2-1/2 hours or till the correct consistency is reached, which is thick and reduced, then leave this to cool.
- Keep in a container with a tight fitting lid.