Blue Shropshire and White Wine soup
About this recipe
Red wine shouldn’t be the only partner to blue cheese: this soup combines white wine with a mellow blue for an unusual and sophisticated dish. Sprinkle with a few crunchy homemade croutons for added texture.
- 150g(6oz) Blue Shropshire, crumbled
- 1 onion, chopped
- 6 sticks celery, chopped
- 25g(1oz) plain flour
- 100ml/4fl.oz medium white wine
- 600ml/1pt chicken stock
- 150ml(¼ pint) milk
- 150ml(¼ pint) fresh double cream
- 100g(4oz) potato, diced
- freshly ground black pepper and salt
- Fry onion and celery until soft, not brown.
- Add flour and cook for one minute, then remove pan from heat.
- Stir in wine, stock and potato. Bring to boil, stirring continuously, until soup thickens, then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Cool slightly and liquidise, return to clean pan.
- Add milk and heat gently.
- Stir in Blue Shropshire cheese until melted.
- Add cream and seasoning to taste. Do not boil.