Blue Shropshire Cheese Loaf
About this recipe
This moist “cakey” bread includes celery and walnuts for a wonderful texture. It’s a very straightforward recipe if you’re new to breadmaking, and tastes delicious with cold meats and chutneys.
- 200g Self Raising Flour (can substitute half with wholemeal flour)
- 1/2 teaspoon with baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 50g butter cubed
- 100g Blue Shropshire Cheese, crumbled
- 2 small celery sticks, finely chopped
- 50g walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 1 large egg
- 120ml milk
Oven Temp: 190°C/Gas 5
- Sift flour, baking powder and salt into a mixing bowl.
- Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs
- Add in crumbed cheese, celery and walnuts
- Beat the egg and milk together and add to the dry ingredients and mix well to form a fairly stiff consistency
- Spoon the mixture into a lined and greased 450g/1lb loaf tin.
- Bake for 1 hour until the loaf is well browned.
- Cool the loaf in the tin for 5 minutes and then turn onto a wire rack
- Serve warm or cold – ideal with cold meats and chutneys