Afternoon Lemon Cakes
About this recipe
Delicate zesty little sponges sandwiched with lemon curd and crème fraiche blended with lemon cheese. Wonderful served as part of an afternoon tea with a cup of Earl Grey.
- 100g Margarine
- 100g Sugar
- 2 medium eggs
- 100g Self Raising flour
- 50g Lemon Curd
- 40g Crème Fraiche
- 50g White Stilton with lemon, crumbed
- Icing Sugar for dusting
Oven Temp: 180C/Gas Mark 4
Makes 6 cakes
- Preheat the oven to 180oC. Place the baking cases in a cake tin.
- Place the margarine and sugar into a mixing bowl and using a hand whisk mix together until the mixture is pale and creamy.
- Gradually add the eggs into the mix, one at a time, beating the mixture together with a small amount of flour after each addition. Fold in the remaining flour.
- Divide the mixture between the cake cases and bake in the preheated oven for 10- 15 minutes until golden brown in colour. Remove the cakes from the oven and allow to cool for 5- 10 mins.
- Meanwhile blend together the crème fraiche and White Stilton with lemon and set to one side.
- Once the cakes have cooled remove from the paper cases and leave to cool fully on a baking wire.
- Take one cake, turn it upside down and on the base side add a generous spoonful of crème fraiche and CWS lemon mix and spread evenly over the cake. Top the cheese mix with a spoonful of lemon curd. Top the cake with another cake (the right way up).