Baked Stuffed Aubergine with Walnut and Smooth Blue
About this recipe
A vegetarian dish that’s very simple but incredibly tasty and can be made in advance. You can replace Smooth Blue with Blue Stilton or Blue Shropshire depending on your preference.
- 4 large Aubergine cut in half
- 6 Tomatoes
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 200g Smooth Blue
- 60g Walnuts, chopped
- 50g Breadcrumbs, toasted
- 2 Garlic Cloves, chopped
- Drizzle of Olive Oil
- Rosemary & Thyme sprigs
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 200C/Gas Mark 6
- Cut the 4 large aubergine in half, leaving the tops on and score the surface of the flesh with a knife. Place on a baking tray cut-side up, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 30 minutes or until soft.
- While the aubergines are cooking, gently fry the small white onion and 2 chopped garlic cloves in olive oil for a few minutes.
- Add the 6 diced tomatoes, sprigs of Rosemary and Thyme and cook to soften.
- Remove the flesh from the roasted aubergines, reserving the skins to be stuffed later. Chop the aubergine flesh into small cubes.
- Add the aubergine flesh and the 60g lightly chopped walnuts to the tomato mixture and season generously with salt and pepper. Place the mixture in the aubergine skins.
- Crumble over 200g Smooth Blue and top with 50g of freshly toasted breadcrumbs. Return to the oven or place under a hot grill until the cheese has melted, the breadcrumbs crisp and the flesh warmed through.